GF Blueberry Tart for Easter!
Happy Easter! I hope that your day was as fun as ours. We enjoyed the day with family and all the kids loved being together… especially for the egg hunt and playing with goodies in their baskets. I baked a blueberry tart this year that was a perfect end to our time together. It is free of gluten, dairy, eggs, nuts, and refined sugar… and my favorite thing about this tart is that the crust is made with ivory teff flour! Here’s the recipe:
GF Blueberry Tart with Ivory Teff Pastry Crust
- 1/2 cup Ivory Teff flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup Tapioca Starch flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 Tbls cold palm shortening, cut into small pieces
- 2 Tbls cold coconut oil
- 5-7 Tbls ice cold water mixed with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (look for the wild blueberries that are small as they have the most flavor)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tbls Arrowroot
- squeeze of lime juice (probably half a lime)
- small pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp lime zest (optional)
- coconut milk (optional)
- Line a 8 or 9 inch tart pan (the kind with a removable bottom) with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix the ivory teff flour, sorghum flour, tapioca starch, xanthan gum and salt in a medium size bowl.
- Cut the palm shortening and coconut oil into the dry ingredients until a pea sized crumb develops. You can use a fork or your hands for this step.
- Add the ice cold water and stir to combine into a dough.
- Press the dough into a prepared tart pan with your hands, making sure the sides and bottom are even. Prick lightly with a fork, cover with saran wrap and refrigerate until the dough is cold.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, combine the blueberries, coconut sugar, arrowroot, lime juice, zest and pinch of salt. Gently heat over low flame until a juice begins to form. You may add a tablespoon of coconut milk to help if you wish but not necessary.
- Preheat your oven to 325 and bake the cold tart shell for 10 minutes to set. Remove from the oven and pour the blueberry mixture into the tart shell. Return the tart to the oven and bake at 325 for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Remove the tart from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Do not slice until the tart is completely cool or the blueberry filling will not set!